lundi 3 septembre 2012

The Road (not so) Less Traveled

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both

And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim
Because it was grassy and wanted wear,
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I marked the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference. 
 
-The Road Less Traveled, Robert Frost
What if the road less traveled stated by Robert Frost is actually not so less traveled? Back in 08, I was sure that the exchange year was a privilege that not many can get, or want to get (i mean, 17yo kid going abroad alone in an alien country without being able to utter even a single sentence?). Well, i guess things change when you (and other people) grow up. Now, having a second chance of being exchange student isnt as thrilling as it used to be (or it hasnt been, yet?).  Maybe it's not the time to have hey-lets-do-this-weird-shit-you-cant-do-back-home or the condition that requires you-gotta-do-this-otherwise-your-life-is-gonna-be-miserable stuff. Maybe it doesnt really make you feel special anymore, i mean i am in a place that have almost 500 exchange kids, so being one is like regular. Maybe it's because the stakes arent really that high now, the only thing that will mess you up is if you fail your class, if you mess up with your relationship here, you probably wont have a bad time or a messed up living and social experience. Maybe it's because i feel like i belong here (this fast?), with the kiasu-atmosphere and else. Yeah, maybe the last one. I dont even have to try that hard to feel at ease. Yeah, getting *good* friends still requires effort, but i can have fun easily, simply by reading stuff or wandering alone in the city (uh, same story.). Anyway, August in Singapore has been fun. And I'm finally content with my college life, so things are good.

Catch ya later with some other stories.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire